Tuesday 7 November 2006

Holding the mirror in love

Paul Tripp on 'People, the Serpent, and personal ministry' - what principles can be drawn from Genesis 3 to develop our understanding of personal ministry? [Having already considered Genesis 1.]

"We should hunger for the simple dependence of Genesis 1, where everything people thought, said, and did was based solely on the words of God.

"The voices of the world appeal to a core delusion in sinful hearts, the desire to be God, able to understand and live life on our own. We need people in our lives who love us enough to call us back to a life with God at the centre.

"We need the words of God (Scripture) to make sense out of life. We need to listen for the one reliable voice of the Creator. His Word alone can cut through the confusion of the world's philosophy and our own foolishness to make us truly wise. Real knowledge begins with knowing him. Wisdom is the fruit of worship, and received on bended knee. It is the product of a life lived in submission to the One who is wisdom, Christ.
Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. [Heb 3.12-13]
"The Hebrews passage clearly teaches that personal insight is the product of community. I need you in order to really see and know myself. Otherwise, I will listen to my own arguments, believe my own lies, and buy into my own delusions. My self-perception is as accurate as a carnival mirror. If I am going to see myself clearly, I need you to hold the mirror of God's Word in front of me."

- Paul David Tripp, Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands

I love this book. It's one of those that I keep a pencil in hand and underline, and if I notice I've not paid sufficient attention to a paragraph, go and re-read slowly. The only danger is that the whole book will be underlined when I finish. It's worth it. A few quotes can't communicate it - this is soaked in the Bible.

1 comment:

Ant said...

I've been reading this book recently too. It's so helpful isn't it?