Friday 25 January 2008

What a beautiful day

...when IVP new books arrive. Look at these beauts:

The Future of Justification, Piper - really sounds like a worth-while read. It'd be easy to jump on the bandwagon and fire at the variety of NPP views on justification without due engagement, but by all accounts Piper hasn't done that: Wright saw drafts of this and commented on it, allowing Piper to strengthen the book. Peter Williams says, "Piper writes with the concern of a pastor, the passion of a preacher, the precision of a scholar, and the courtesy of a gentleman as he critiques N. T. Wright's grand scheme of justification. Piper both highlights exegetical weaknesses in Wright's system and demonstrates the success of reading Paul using traditional categories. All who read Wright should read Piper." I look forward to the read.

Adith Fernando explores the connection between rejoicing and suffering in A Call to Joy and Pain, which looks good - sounds like a different emphasis than Piper's Christian hedonism, but anyway to me that made most Biblical sense when he was preaching through Hebrews, rather than describing it in the abstract.

In Written For Us, Peter Adams gives us what he claims is a coherent biblical theology of the Bible, which looks valuable, and we have several new additions to IVP's ever increasing collection of reference works - the Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters and the Commentary on the NT use of the OT which I've been looking forward to for some time (since before it existed!) Ben Witherington adds to his commentaries with Letters and Homilies for Jewish Christians on Hebrews, James and Jude.

Lastly, Henri Blocher, Oliver Crisp, David Gibson, Ryan Glomsrud, Paul Helm, Michael Horton, Donald Macleod, A. T. B. McGowan, Michael Ovey, Sebastian Rehnman, Mark Thompson and Garry Williams all gather together under the editing batons of Dave Gibson & Dan Strange to engage with Barth. There has been a recent resurgence of interest in Barth among evangelicals, and he's certainly worth engaging with, so here's to a good read!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I must get mine ordered, though I think I'll just select a few from the list. Full shelves...

étrangère said...

Yes, that is starting to be an issue. My housemate pointed out that if I proceed with my plans to get a piano, there'll be no more room for bookcase expansion. Hmm. The challenge I've been feeling those is that there's no point having loads of books: you can't take those with you. It's whether I use them to grow more like Christ and serve his Church... It's stating the obvious, but it struck me recently.

Unknown said...

I'm filtering what I buy, so particularly good books for me or to lend to others are fine. I select carefully off the apollos ones - so the Carson OT/NT is going to be a vital reference book, but some more obscure specific issue ones I could pass on. That said, I nearly passed on Divine Spiration, which was very helpful. NSBTs are kind essentials too.

Bokey said...

Book Jealousy!!

Daniel Blanche said...

We just bought two new bookshelves - so now I have extra capacity. Huzzah! Although I did have to promise Kate that this didn't mean I would just buy everything going...

James said...

The book on Letters and Homilies for Jewish Christians sounds interesting - do review it if and when you can! I wonder why 1 & 2 Peter aren't included?

étrangère said...

James, because it's a commentary on those books, I'm unlikely to read it before I next study them so I wouldn't hold your breath for a review - sorry! 1 & 2 Peter aren't included because he did them in his 1st volume of Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians - presumably considering them hellenized because they were of the dispersion. But he's the socio-rhetorical commentary expert, not me!