Sunday 7 December 2008

Jesus paid it all

I hear the Saviour say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”

Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim;
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.

And now complete in Him,
My robe, His righteousness,
Close sheltered ’neath His side,
I am divinely blest.

Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.

When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
Shall rend the vaulted skies.

And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down,
All down at Jesus’ feet.

- Elvina Hall, 1865. Free mp3 recording from Sovereign Grace Music.

[I'd rather she'd not written only, "Jesus died my soul to save," but more: "Jesus died my all to save," or something else which would fit - but as she lifts our eyes to when we stand before the throne complete in Christ, there's a resurrection body in there too, albeit vaguely!]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...yes, although it's (save + soul) not an unbiblical concept entirely...Proverbs 23.14?

étrangère said...

Yes, I think it's more my (/ our culture's?) Greek dichotomising that's untrue: Hebrew thought seemed to be much more holistic - soul was the person which wouldn't rot when they 'slept'. So also Jesus in Mark 8, in which helpfully my esv footnote explains that the one Greek word is translated either life or soul. Haha, I suppose I'm over-sensitive to the lack of new creation in some old hymns I dearly love, because it's such a great hope! Its lack of mention doesn't undermine the truth of the hymn :)

Boaly said...

Have you heard Kristen Stanfill's rendition of this song - amazing