Thursday 8 September 2005

Strange unbidden thoughts

Being in a strange situation has caused me to think things which are against what I actually know to be true and believe, and alarmingly self-interested. It's as if my mind, taken by surprise, jolts up feelings/thoughts unbidden. Perhaps a sort of in-built self-preservation thing. So anyway, I found myself thinking at the airport: "Why on earth am I doing this? This is madness. I could've been comfortable in England. Someone remind me of why I'm stepping on this plane!" So I had to talk back to myself (a good discipline): of course the answer to Why on earth am I doing this? is that it can't be done in heaven, and it's what we're called to do as part of 'your kingdom come; your will be done on earth as it is in heaven'. It is following Jesus' example of leaving heaven to partially inaugurate heaven on earth; it is a sign of the gospel's power to redeem us from the curse on Babel's rebellion; it is a sign of not belonging to one tribe or nation but to the kingdom already inaugurated in the people of God on earth; looking forward to Rev 7:9-10. If you could remind me of that every so often I'm sure it'd be helpful :-) and pray that in my innermost being I'd delight in God's word, not seeking self.

PS I'd forgotten about mosquitos. D'oh.

(This was posted belatedly.)

No comments: